Hi,

In XFree 4.3.0 most of keymaps were changed to allow their combining into
one multi-layout keymap.  But us_intl map was changed later.  Therefore its
behavior depends on have you 'pure' 4.3.0 or some version with additional
patches.

Could you run
setxkbmap us_intl -print
and send its output?

> (Note that i had to modify Alt_R (0x71) to map it to mod3 Mode_switch.)

What keysyms were there before your changes?

> When i type Alt_R apostrophe, an apostrophe should be typed, but in
> actuality nothing happens.

You can try to use ISO_Level3_Shift keysym instead of Mode_switch.  But as I
said it depends on later patches.

> Why won't Mode_switch work? On my desktop, which runs XFree86 4.2, i
> have the opposite behavior. Only the most common non-ASCII characters
> will be inserted. (For example, e circumflex but not c circumflex.)

You mean you can combine dead_circumflex with e but the sequence dead_circumflex
and c produces nothing.  Is it right?
The thing is that 'compose rules' in X Window are not a part of keyboard map
but a separate file which choice depends on the current locale.  The symbol
ccircumflex can be composed in iso8859-3 and UTF-8 locales.  If the locale
in your XFree 4.3 is one of UTF-8 ones but in your desktop the locale is C
(default) or some other but neither iso8859-3 nor UTF-8 you get such
difference.
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University