From: I2nsf [mailto:i2nsf-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Rakesh Kumar
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2016 4:06 PM
To: Natale, Bob; Susan Hares; DIEGO LOPEZ GARCIA; John Strassner
Cc: I2NSF@ietf.org; Xialiang (Frank); Rakesh Kumar; Dacheng Zhang; Linda Dunbar
Subject: Re: [I2nsf] questions about some terminologies defined by
draft-ietf-i2nsf-terminology-00

Based on my understanding of “Capability Layer” as defined in the I2NSF, is the
 controller southbound interface.  it is the interface from controller to
Network Security Function (NSF/vNSF).

Is that ok if we define southbound interface as set of interfaces with
categorization along the functional line? Something like as following.

I2NSF Southbound Interfaces

  1.  Capability Interface: Interface to discover NSF/vNSF capability so that
controller can determine whether a NSF is capable of enforcing a given policy.
This could be either a query interface (controller queries from a NSF for
specific functionality) or a report interface where each NSF sends its
supported capabilities such as feature, scale, performance. The NSF state is
not changed by this interface.
  2.  Programming Interface (or some other better name):  Interface used by
controller to program a specific NSF to enforce a security policy. This might
change the state of NSF if successful.
  3.  Notification Interface:  Interface used to send notification
(event/alarm) by NSF to controller (if registered for). The controller may
directly take an action based on the event. This is a report and registry
interface. This does not change the state of NSF.
  4.  Telemetry Interface: Interface to get telemetry information from NSF.
This could be query or report/registry interface. This does not change the
state of NSF.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Rakesh