We know a guide in Costa Rica that we can recommend, also. We have been there 3 times and would not hesitate to go back again. And it's in Iowa's time zone.
Rejoicing, Sue Yeakel

----- Original Message ----- From: "IA-BIRD digest" <[email protected]>
To: "ia-bird digest recipients" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:01 PM
Subject: ia-bird digest: March 02, 2010


IA-BIRD Digest for Tuesday, March 02, 2010.

1. Quad City Gulls
2. Costa Rica

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Quad City Gulls
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 16:36:37 -0600 (CST)
X-Message-Number: 1

Today at L&D 14 there were:
Glaucous Gull: two, one adult and one 2W
LBB Gull: one adult
Thayer's Gull: at least three adults
Many diver ducks as expected above the dam. I did not notice anything remarkable but did not check them thoroughly. Fifteen swans were on the ice on the Iowa side. Bill and forehead pattern appeared to be Tundra Swans but views were distant and I could not see yellow lores. Could be either Tundra or Trumpeter.

Cheers,
Steve Freed
Milan IL

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Costa Rica
From: Art Check <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 19:34:01 -0800 (PST)
X-Message-Number: 2


--0-413824416-1267587241=:82890
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

My wife and I just returned from 8 days in Costa Rica.=A0 This was intended= as a vacation for both of us; not directly a "birding" trip.=A0 HOWEVER, I= figured this was an opportunity that couldn't be passed up, and while I di= dn't have an official guide the vast majority of the time, was able to mana= ge about 100 new life birds (still tallying everything).=A0 I'm sure many o= f you would have done much better in terms of numbers, but it was awesome n= onetheless.=A0 I had no idea the amazing beauty of so many different tanage= rs, trogons, and honeycreepers=A0that live there, as well as hummingbirds a= t close range of many varieties.=A0 The highlight for a first-timer to Cost= a Rica was of course the Resplendent Quetzal male.=A0 We saw at least 2 dif= ferent nesting pairs, one with the nest about 20 feet from the road.=A0 Tru= ly a surreal experience to watch those incredible coverts dangling more tha=
n 2 feet behind in a bright emerald green as he came flying through the
trees to the nest.=A0 Also got a great look (lucky I think for the amount =
of time we were there) at a Spectacled Owl which was a lot of fun to see.
Costa Rica was a great place to see some incredible birds, experience great= weather, and seems to be relatively safe for travellers.=A0 We will return= and I have no trouble recommending a trip there.=A0 I think going with som= eone who has been there or having a guide would greatly enhance chances of = seeing a larger # of species.=A0 However, I saw many groups that were quite= large and that didn't look very fun to me.=A0 I was fortunate to run into = a guide who was with a small group from Tennessee, and he was extremely fri= endly and helpful, and in fact encouraged me to tag along on a couple short= trips with him.=A0 He also gave me a tip on a nearby area that I birded on= e afternoon with great results (where we saw the owl).=A0 No one else I tal= ked to the rest of the week had seen any owls during their trip, so I felt = lucky.=A0 There are many guides available at reasonable rates.=A0=A0 Season= ed birders I think would do well, but this guy was incredible with calls, a=
nd
got his Swarovski scope on birds in the tree tops quicker than I could get= to it.=A0 I've got a ridiculous # of pics, only a few of which I consider = pretty good.=A0 If anyone's interested in seeing my marginally good pics of=
the Quetzal let me know off list.
=A0
Art Check
Nevada=0A=0A=0A
--0-413824416-1267587241=:82890
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<table cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0" ><tr><td valign=3D"= top" style=3D"font: inherit;"><DIV>My wife and I just returned from 8 days = in Costa Rica.&nbsp; This was intended as a vacation for both of us; not di= rectly a "birding" trip.&nbsp; HOWEVER, I figured this was an opportunity t= hat couldn't be passed up, and while I didn't have an official guide the va= st majority of the time, was able to manage about 100 new life birds (still= tallying everything).&nbsp; I'm sure many of you would have done much bett= er in terms of numbers, but it was awesome nonetheless.&nbsp; I had no idea= the amazing beauty of so many different tanagers, trogons, and honeycreepe= rs&nbsp;that live there, as well as hummingbirds at close range of many var= ieties.&nbsp; The highlight for a first-timer to Costa Rica was of course t= he Resplendent Quetzal male.&nbsp; We saw at least 2 different nesting pair=
s, one with the nest about 20 feet from the road.&nbsp; Truly a surreal
experience to watch those incredible coverts dangling more than 2 feet beh= ind in a bright emerald green as he came flying through the trees to the ne= st.&nbsp; Also got a great look (lucky I think for the amount of time we we=
re there) at a Spectacled Owl which was a lot of fun to see.</DIV>
<DIV>Costa Rica was a great place to see some incredible birds, experience = great weather, and seems to be relatively safe for travellers.&nbsp; We wil= l return and I have no trouble recommending a trip there.&nbsp; I think goi= ng with someone who has been there or having a guide would greatly enhance = chances of seeing a larger # of species.&nbsp; However, I saw many groups t= hat were quite large and that didn't look very fun to me.&nbsp; I was fortu= nate to run into a guide who was with a small group from Tennessee, and he = was extremely friendly and helpful, and in fact encouraged me to tag along = on a couple short trips with him.&nbsp; He also gave me a tip on a nearby a= rea that I birded one afternoon with great results (where we saw the owl).&= nbsp; No one else I talked to the rest of the week had seen any owls during= their trip, so I felt lucky.&nbsp; There are many guides available at reas=
onable rates.&nbsp;&nbsp; Seasoned birders I think would do well,
but this guy was incredible with calls, and got his Swarovski scope on bir= ds in the tree tops quicker than I could get to it.&nbsp; I've got a ridicu= lous # of pics, only a few of which I consider pretty good.&nbsp; If anyone= 's interested in seeing my marginally good pics of the Quetzal let me know =
off list.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Art Check</DIV>
<DIV>Nevada</DIV></td></tr></table><br>=0A=0A
--0-413824416-1267587241=:82890--



---

END OF DIGEST

---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union. Membership available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/membership.asp.
---
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: [email protected]


---
Please contribute your sightings to our list; it is only as good as members 
make it!
---
Birding channel recommendation for FRS/GMRS radio use:
Primary selection; channel 5/0 , alternate selection; channel 6/0
---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Iowa Ornithologists' Union.  Membership 
available on-line at http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/membership.asp.
-----
You are currently subscribed to ia-bird as: [email protected]

Reply via email to