This is certainly a vital topic for many of us.

I have been hands-on with a number of deployments. In the case of Rwanda, a lot of money has been invested in an effort to provide a laptop to every elementary school child in the country. I feel that project needs any support we can give it to ensure that that investment has a positive return. In other deployments, individuals or small groups have donated funds to acquire a set of laptops for a specific school. I feel that investment needs to be protected. In Nepal, OLE Nepal has done remarkable things focused on making the OLPC laptops as valuable as possible to the schools where they are deployed. That effort also needs to get a maximum return.

In the computer field, it is obvious that a specific computer model has a limited lifetime. Most models remain on the market for less than three years (a shrinking time-scale as manufacturers want you to buy the next big thing). in actual use, computers probably have a life more like 5-7 years. In educational use, they are used until they stop working since the school has no way to get more.

With SOAS, SugarLabs recognized this and sought a way to make Sugar viable on other hardware. Again, in the computer field, software has a much longer lifetime than hardware. (Our firmware is written in Forth). Will there be anything recognizable as Sugar running on computer hardware in 2020?

A critical part of the OLPC experience has been the insistence on open source and open educational resources. The intent is not only to enable a volunteer community to contribute but also so that the recipients of the laptops are not confronted with a bill for use of the software and educational content. What happens to this if the only viable software is WIndows, IOS, and Android?

One thing that is certain is that by 2020 school children will have computing devices. What will those devices due to help them to a better education? Most probably, they will help them get better scores on high-stake exams. This has been the uniform criteria used to measure the success of OLPC deployments.

Personally, my hope is that this community will produce a viable educational alternative for community schools (with limited access to the internet) to the purchase of software and educational content from the educational industry. An alternative in the sense that Linux distributions offer a viable alternative to Windows, IOS, and Android.

There are some very favorable developments. One is the increasing focus in the XSCE community on content and educational resources. The contributions of Khan Academy (especially Lite), IIAB, Rachel, and OLE Nepal are invaluable. The continued contributions of educators such as Sora Edwards-Thro are also invaluable (I should name countless others, but if I try I will do an injustice).

It is possible that new hardware such as the XO Infinity will breathe a few more years of life into the project (particularly if it supports Fedora/Sugar builds).

Anyway, one can try to keep the vision.

Yours,

Tony