My X61 is running Fedora's 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 kernel, but with a newer
0.18-20071203 release of thinkpad_acpi.

*Without* "acpi_osi=Linux", the mute button toggles volume muting but is
*not* seen by software.  *With* "acpi_osi=Linux", the mute button
toggles volume muting and *is* seen by software, producing the expected
on-screen displays and such.

I am happy to run Henrique's additional tests, but neither "lsinput" nor
"input-events" exist as commands on my box, which is running Fedora 8.
Where would I find these?  What can I install to get these commands?