Ok then that would be the correct behavior. The issue here is that
WITHOUT acpi_osi="Linux"
there is no indication to the windows manger or whatever that it was
pressed. So the muting is happening in the BIOS and it is then muting
the speakers, but the windows manager has no idea that things are
muted. But adding acpi_osi=Linux fixes this issue.

So if your windows manager doesn't handle it then, that is an issue
with your windows manager. Gnome & KDE currently handle it fine.