In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 05/31/2005
   at 05:36 PM, "Chiam, Susan Mee-Shia"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>We have a request to look into utilising 8-chars userids. First
>reaction from the team was 'No', but we have to put forward our
>arguments. So we need to put up a list of 'pros' and 'cons' on this
>request. Any help to formulate the list is appreciated.

You can have 8-character userids for other services, but not for TSO.
If you have a business case for IBM to add 8-character user ids, by
all means submit a requirement, but don't try it at home.

Just to increase the prefix length is a huge[1] amount of work; not so
much for TSO as for the various products. BTDTGTS.

[1] It would be a lot less work with the source code, but you'd still
    need to upgrade your modifications if you wanted to install
    service.