On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 10:58:59 +0200, R.S. wrote:
>>    Things started out great. These devices are fast. But now I find
>> when I run a JOB with multiple tape allocations in one step specifying
>> the same esoteric, they all try to mount on the same device. Is this
>> normal ??? I don't recall ever seeing this before with our other
>> devices. I ran the JOB again specifying the generic unit name and they
>> allocated separate devices and the JOB ran good.
>
>The same device should be chosen when you specify AFF:
>UNIT=AFF=previous_ddname_with_tape_alloc
>
>Another guess is you esoteric contains only one device ONLINE.
>
>BTW: Just curious - what hardware do you use? It is interesting for me
>because of 3590 emulation.
>--

Radoslaw,
   I'm familiar with UNIT=AFF for times when I WANT the same device
allocated to multiple DD's in one step. But I'm not coding UNIT=AFF and it's
acting like I am. The strange part is when I changed the UNIT specification to
use the generic name, it allocated separate devices.

   We just got a DataDomain storage solution with Luminex gateways. I'm just
starting to learn about them, hence the confusion and questions.

Thanks,
      Dave K.