----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Fletcher" <flet...@nz1.ibm.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Blast From The Past - UCB VSCR

Andrew Metcalfe wrote:

I realise that this subject is old, old, old but ....we have never had a
requirement to move UCBs above 16M as we have been happily running with a
private region of 8M and have not seen any CSA (below) issues. We are now
looking at a strategy of consolidating workloads on fewer z/OS systems and
hence expect to see an increase in both CSA usage and SQA as more devices
are defined to each system.

I have seen the Redbook (SG24-4584 from 1995!) which gives some
information,
but I can't see anything from recent times. Can anyone please point me at
some recent conventional wisdom, or is moving UCBs above a "non-event"?

There is a product called MDRS that can not handle 'above the line UCBs'.

Depends on your version of MDRS. We had some late fixes to handle >16M UCB's before it was stabilized. I know because I wrote the UIM's for the devices handled by MDRS, and the UIM supported UCB's >16M.

Regards,
Tom Conley