Reza,

You should not be concerned about Page Out rates. Page out does not
interrupt the flow of a program - it's being paged out because it has not
been referenced recently.

If there is a page fault for that page very soon after the page out and it
is still unchanged then there is no actual page-in.

In terms of actual juice (MIPS) used for page-out, you would have to be
generating a sustained page-out rate of several thousand pages a second to
use any substantial "juice." ASM is very efficient.

The usual problem with pages being pushed out by SORT is that OLTP regions
that are relatively inactive during the batch run have their pages stolen,
and then suffer page delays when the business opens its doors several hours
later. While these pages remain unchanged on AUX they become cannon fodder
for page stealing when the SORTS run the following night.

In the note below you talk about page out and page in as if they produce a
common delay, but they do note. You then show what appears to be some sort
daily plot that shows a high DPR six times a month. Then I'm lost again
because you give a Demand Paging "unit" of 60,000 tracks, and I don't know
how to correlate that to anything. Do you mean that is 60Kx12x4KB blocks
over a day (8.3/sec) or, an hour (200/sec), or a 15 minute RMF interval
(800/sec). I think it's the reference to tracks that is throwing me.

Page stealing rarely affects batch jobs themselves, as their pages usually
have a low UIC while there running, and will not be used again when the job
ends. Jobs that start after the sorts are unaffected because they weren't in
the system when the pages were stolen. That simple logic - maybe over simple
- is why I believe I have not run across DFSORT delaying batch runs. It is
usually OLTP regions and long running STC that are affected by the ensuing
page-ins.

If you think Page-ins are causing some delay then I suggest looking at the
ASID level page-in rates in the SMF type 30 interval records and see what
Service Classes or Workload types are experiencing a page-in problem after
the sorts are finished, and how long that rate is sustained.

If your SMF interval is too long, start an RMF II Background session at 5
second intervals and look at the PIN rates for each ASID using "ASD A,A"
This will give a very detailed profile of where your Page-in rate is going,
and whether it is hurting one of the loved ones.

Ron

Behalf Of