From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of J R
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Best practice for 24-bit storage in assembler called from C/C++

> or using the "word zero of the first save area" solution.

I know you said you didn't want to keep the DCB open across
calls and that may be why you ignored my suggestion.  In case
you didn't see it, I'll repeat it here:

If you are going to keep the DCB open across calls you could:
- "extend" your DCB with the rest of your information, i.e. make
   the DCB the first part of your control block.
- when called, run the DEB queue until you find the one that
   points back to your DCB which you can identify/verify from the
   rest of your control block.

The last time I used this method, and pseudo registers, was in
the '70s.  It's possible I'm "misremembering" but I think it worked
well at the time.

I have also used the FSA word0 method many times in the past.