On 23 February 2010 13:38, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I kind of get pseudoregisters I think. The idea is that you can write a
> bunch of disjoint DSECTs and the compilers and binder will essentially
> assemble them all into one big area, and tell you at run time the total size
> (in a CXD) and the offset of each DSECT (in a Q con) within the
> conglomeration. Coding DXD F is kind of like coding a one-word DSECT -- not
> wrong but not very efficient use of source code.
>
> I guess the fundamental question is this: will something outside of my code
> give me that one task-unique word? I am beginning to think it will not. The
> problem pseudo-registers seem to solve is " one GETMAIN for many DSECTs --
> even across separate compilation units" -- not "give me some task-unique
> storage." I keep coming back to the same problem: there's no way anything
> stored inside your code could possibly be reentrant-task-unique.

Right - the Binder (and its several deprecated friends) will not
magically obtain your task-unique word. But LE will, and with C++ you
are anyway running in an LE world.

Check out the Anchor Support section, chapter 15 in, of all
user-friendly places, the Language Environment Vendor Interfaces book.
Lots of interesting stuff in there, much of which probably should be
in the mainstream books.

Tony H.