On 2010-02-20 at 17:44 concerning "Consolidate Storage Groups",
Rebecca Martin <reb...mar...@tgs...org> wrote to IBM-Main :

> We are a small shop with a big SMS mess as far as the ACS routines and
> number of storage groups.  We have over 80 storage groups  [snip] The
> storage admin believes [snip] the datasets have to be moved.

> [snip] get down to around 15 to 20 storage groups.  [snip] reassign all
> the volumes in 1 pool to another.  [snip]  Is it that easy?  [snip]

Rebecca : additional to all the good advice...

It sounds like my situation where SC<->SG and pools were used to keep
one group from clobbering another space-wise ie x37 problems.  Now,
everything goes into my STD pool of 80 volumes unless there're very
compelling reasons not to.  For me that leaves DB2 - IVP (3 sub-sys),
AppDev (3 sub-sys), and Prod (2 sub-sys), PERM - LnkLst, LpaLst, etc,
Recovery - Logs & backups that are migrated daily, plus a coupla
specialities for under 15 total.  (the maximum number allowable for
&SG=)  StorClas's are to identify the type of data & service not
where it should be placed.  There's no reason they can't occupy the
same SG pool.  We also FDR Archive by MgmtClas in all pools.

I used a FiltList to convert obsolete classes (DC, SC, MC) so that it
was not necessary to Alter old entries.  Any new dataset creation -
JCL, TSO, IdcAms, recalls, etc. will be automagically transferred to
their new values ie.
FILTLIST OBS_SC_SYSDATA INCLUDE ('MONITOR', 'CICSDATA')
SELECT (&STORCLAS)
        WHEN (&OBS_SC_SYSDATA) SET &STORCLAS='SYSDATA'

Keep your old StorGrps around but assign them one fake volume ie.
BOGON00, BOGON01, etc.  All StorGrps in the SG ACS should include an
Overflow SG (ie. SET &STORGRP = 'thisGrp' 'SPILL') and I use one for
all my pools.  It's make them stick out like a sore thumb.  Each pool
should also have a quiesced volume (or several) to allow for that
occasional, really large allocation request.  I find the actual size
used is often *much* smaller than SPACE= so I have a daily FDRMove
job that attempts to scour those quiesced volumes and usually finds
space elsewhere in the pool.

I still have a couple of volumes from obsolete SG pools hanging
around in my STD pool (DISNEW) because I haven't bothered to move the
datasets and they're in continual use ie. TcpParms, Ucats, OMVS Home.
 It's only been 3 years - I'll find an outage time for them
eventually.

My DBA is also pleased with the new Scratch pool I cooked up.  I took
all of the non-assigned volumes and made a pool of them for large,
temporary, gone-in-a-week type uses.  (They're sitting empty anyway &
I keep a handful aside for emergency use.)  The DBA uses it for
intermediary datasets (a mid-step backup) when he needs to do a whole
bunch of table/index space re-orgs.  It's faster than tape and they
default to an MC that deletes them after a while so he doesn't have
to clean-up.  When I need to add a volume to a pool, I find an empty
one in the Scratch pool.  When my Scratch pool gets small, time to
order new Dasd.

ps.  I do my activations mid-afternoon which is a local lull and
always from a different SCDS/ACDS so I can instantly switch back.
After 7+ days, I transfer the IGDSMS10.SCDS into IDGSMS00.SCDS and
activate the permanent copy.  Then I can start work on my next
iteration.

pps.  DB2 doesn't seem to care what SMS does.  I started managing one
sub-system and the DBA's didn't notice for a whole year.  They have
approx. 10-20 StoGroups defined but DB2 didn't care if the volume
wasn't what it requested.  Naturally, we're not at production yet
with its performance/placement considerations but I think I have a
solution for that worked out.

ppps.  ABRInit StorClas= is to get the allocation pointed at the
right SG where the volume resides.  After that, it's extraneous
information.

ooops... this was meant to be short.  ah well.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer
2004