Jorge

My apologies!

>...> 1. Create a separate TCPDATA member removing all reference to dns.

I now realise that this included removing "DNS" from the LOCAL statement.

>...> We attach the TCPDATA member and SETUP member in RESOLVER proc.

I didn't appreciate that this - why we? what was wrong with I? - meant that
the text of the members was part of the post. Once I saw the lines
automatically added - about subscribing and so on - I stopped looking any
further. I don't think this is affected by the fact that I use the archives
rather
than e-mail.

-

Now, taking things one step at a time, you need to work out why the
BPXPRMxx member RESOLVER_PROC statement isn't working as it should.

You need to be aware that RESOLVER_PROC(DEFAULT) causes an address
space with the name RESOLVER to be initiated but that the name of the
procedure member started is the general purpose procedure IEESYSAS and
that the name is changed to RESOLVER by adding ".RESOLVER" to the
internally submitted start command.

This is covered - in a way - in the sections "Setting up a resolver address
space" and "Managing the resolver address space" in the z/OS Communications
Server IP Configuration Guide.

In order to start a procedure which you have taken trouble to create with a
SETUP DD-statement you need to change the BPXPRMxx member
RESOLVER_PROC statement to, say, RESOLVER_PROC(RESOLVER) and store a
procedure named RESOLVER similar to the following:

//RESOLVER PROC
//* See SEZAINST(EZBREPRC) for comments
//EZBREINI EXEC PGM=EZBREINI,REGION=0M,TIME=1440,PARM='CTRACE
(CTIRES00)'
//SETUP DD DSN=TCPIP.TCPPARMS(SETUPRES),DISP=SHR,FREE=CLOSE

Then you can stop and start your new RESOLVER procedure according to the
instructions in the section "Managing the resolver address space". You should
see the following message:

BPXF224I THE RESOLVER_PROC, xxx, IS BEING STARTED where xxx is the
name of your resolver procedure.

If you then enter the command

MODIFY xxx,D

where xxx is the name of your resolver procedure, you should see messages
explaining the contents of your SETUP DD-statement.

Something I noticed in the z/OS Communications Server IP System
Administrator’s Commands manual when checking on the above is that you can
also enter the command

DISPLAY OMVS,O

and somewhere there will be a line which says

RESOLVER PROC = yyy

where yyy is the name that the system obtained - and it should have been
from your BPXPRMxx member - as the name of the resolver procedure. If it still
says DEFAULT, you need to check why.

And, of course, yyy ought to be the same as xxx!

-

Once all that is sorted out, we can concentrate on how it is that your LOOKUP
statement still appears to cause reference to a name server.

-

It was while puzzling over whether nslookup was the best way to test your
changes - because some functions can avoid using the resolver we have been
discussing or something like that - that I realised something rather obvious we
have all been missing!

The following is from my notes on the subject "distilled" from the manuals:

The TSO NSLOOKUP command uses the MVS search order for the TCPIP.DATA
data set. This is the following:

Resolver - GLOBALTCPIPDATA

plus the first of the following:

//SYSTCPD DD statement
x.TCPIP.DATA
SYS1.TCPPARMS(TCPDATA)
Resolver - DEFAULTTCPIPDATA
TCPIP.TCPIP.DATA

where x is userid/jobname/procname

The z/OS UNIX nslookup command uses the MVS search order for the
TCPIP.DATA data set. This is the following:

Resolver - GLOBALTCPIPDATA

plus the first of the following:

Environment variable - RESOLVER_CONFIG
/etc/resolv.conf
//SYSTCPD DD statement
x.TCPIP.DATA
SYS1.TCPPARMS(TCPDATA)
Resolver - DEFAULTTCPIPDATA
TCPIP.TCPIP.DATA

where x is userid

And common to both MVS and UNIX: if GLOBALTCPIPDATA used, the following
are completely specified there:

DomainOrigin/Domain
NSInterAddr/NameServer
NSPortAddr
ResolverTimeOut
ResolverUDPRetries
ResolveVia
SortList

and the following may be found in the "search order" data set:

ALWAYSWTO
DATASETPREFIX
HOSTNAME
LOADDBCSTABLES
LOOKUP
MESSAGECASE
OPTIONS
SOCKDEBUG
SOCKNOTESTSTOR
SOCKTESTSTOR
TCPIPJOBNAME
TCPIPUSERID
TRACE RESOLVER
TRACE SOCKET

Thus you will see that, in order to force the LOOKUP statement to be used,
you need to change from using the DEFAULTTCPIPDATA statement to the
GLOBALTCPIPDATA statement in the SETUP file.

Chris Mason