From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ward, Mike S
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 12:12
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: VSAM FILE CATALOGING

Hello all, We currently have a z/OS V1.7 that we will be migrating to V1.11. I
have 169 volumes that I want to copy to the z/OS V1.11 system and use for
testing purposes. These volumes contain our Quality Assurance datasets both
VSAM and Sequential. We are not sharing disks or catalogs for obvious reasons.
We have a usercat set up on the V1.11 system that contains the alias of these
files. I can do a disk to disk copy of the volumes to the V1.11 system then
vary those volumes online to the V1.11 system and vary offline to the V1.7
system. Getting the volumes to the V1.11 system for testing isn't the issue.
What I need to do is catalog the files that are on those volumes to the V1.11
user catalog. I can do the sequential files via ISPF if I need to, but I'm not
sure of the vsam files especially those files that span volumes and not just
extents. Has anyone had any experience with cataloging multi extent or multi
volume vsam files in this fashion? Any help would really be appr!
 eciated, and any gotcha's would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance.
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If
this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html