----------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------

Hello all, We currently have a z/OS V1.7 that we will be migrating to
V1.11. I have 169 volumes that I want to copy to the z/OS V1.11 system
and use for testing purposes. These volumes contain our Quality
Assurance datasets both VSAM and Sequential. We are not sharing disks or
catalogs for obvious reasons. We have a usercat set up on the V1.11
system that contains the alias of these files. I can do a disk to disk
copy of the volumes to the V1.11 system then vary those volumes online
to the V1.11 system and vary offline to the V1.7 system. Getting the
volumes to the V1.11 system for testing isn't the issue. What I need to
do is catalog the files that are on those volumes to the V1.11 user
catalog. I can do the sequential files via ISPF if I need to, but I'm
not sure of the vsam files especially those files that span volumes and
not just extents. Has anyone had any experience with cataloging multi
extent or multi volume vsam files in this fashion? Any help would really
be appreciated, and any gotcha's would be appreciated also.
If you're MOVING the datasets, rather than copying them, take a good hard look at REPRO MERGECAT in the IDCAMS manual. It will save you a LOT of time and heartache. It'll also work for the NON-VSAM files you're moving.

Rick