From: Frank Yaeger <yae...@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: SORT question
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Wednesday, 29 September, 2010, 20:30

Terry Draper wrote on IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
wrote on 09/29/2010 02:43:19 AM:
> Maybe try using an E15 exit to read the input file. Stop passing the
> records when you reach the date higher than required..
> I am not sure how I would pass the date to the E15. Could it be a
> parm. Or it could be read from a separate single record input file
> on first pass through the E15.
>
> Any comments on this?

This would probably have the opposite effect of what was requested (better
performance due to NOT reading records once the date is found).

Although, you can stop passing the records to the exit by having the exit
pass back RC=8 early, ALL of the records will still be read; some will
just not be passed to the exit.

But since an exit is not really needed in this case, and using an exit
involves additional overhead, this wouldn't accomplish anything.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Development Team (IBM) - yae...@us.ibm.com
Specialties: JOINKEYS, FINDREP, WHEN=GROUP, ICETOOL, Symbols, Migration

=> DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort