Ted,

I think that why us DASD vendors invented Concurrent Copy, Snapshot,
Shadowimage, Timefinder and FlashCopy. The backup is done relatively
quickly, and copying the backup to tape can be completed outside the
Business Critical Path.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that everyone uses these products.

I did say that the increase cost and time for backup needs to evaluated
against any improvement in restoration time with hardware compression. Thank
you to all those that reinforced the need for this evaluation in their
response.

Behalf Of