From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ron Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:58 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Hardware-assisted compression: not CPU-efficient?

Gil,

I was thinking that a faster restore would be have some value as a reduction
in recovery time, as opposed to back-up duration which is usually outside of
any business critical path.

This would have value in business continuance whether it was a small
application recovery or a full disaster recovery situation. I don't think
the frequency of recovery is a factor in this case.

Ron

Behalf Of
> Paul Gilmartin
> Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:09 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: [IBM-MAIN] Hardware-assisted compression: not CPU-efficient?
>
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 02:53:17 -0800, Ron Hawkins wrote:
> >
> >The saving in hardware assisted compression is in decompression - when
you
> read it. Look at what should be a much lower CPU cost to decompress the
files
> during restore and decide if the speed of restoring the data concurrently
is
> worth the increase in CPU required to back it up in the first place.
> >
> So if you restore more frequently than you backup, you come out ahead?
>
> -- gil

intended
information.
distribution