I think your test was too small. I did not see any meaningful differences among
your results. I'd go for test data of at least 100x in size.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Yifat Oren
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 12:22 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Hardware-assisted compression: not CPU-efficient?

Pardon my bringing back an old thread, but -

I wanted to see how much better is the COMPRESS option over the HWCOMPRESS
in regards to CPU time and was pretty surprised when my results suggested
that HWCOMPRESS is persistently more efficient (both CPU and channel
utilization -wise) than COMPRESS:

DFDSS DUMP with OPT(4) of a VSAM basic format to disk (basic format):

STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP   CONN    TCB    SRB  CLOCK
DUMP-HWCOMPRESS      00  14514  93575    .25    .07    2.3   output was 958
cyls.
DUMP-COMPRESS        00  14819  92326    .53    .07    2.5   output was 978
cyls.
DUMP-NOCOMP          00  15283   103K    .13    .08    2.4   output was
1,017 cyls.

DFDSS DUMP with OPT(4) of a PS basic format to disk (basic format):

STEPNAME PROCSTEP    RC   EXCP   CONN    TCB    SRB  CLOCK
DUMP-HWCOMPRESS      00  13317   154K    .44    .19    6.2  output was 877
cyls.
DUMP-COMPRESS        00  14692   157K    .68    .19    5.1  output was 969
cyls.
DUMP-NOCOMP          00  35827   238K    .14    .21    7.9  output was 2,363
cyls.

Running on a 2098-I04. DFSMSDSS V1R09.0.

So, how come I get different results than the original poster?
The test data was database-type data sets..

Best Regards,
Yifat