In a recent note, R.S. said:

> Date:         Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:07:48 +0100
>
> That's because it is forbidden by IBM. I'd prefer "determinate on single
> system *only*". Limited functionality. This is more than I have today.
> Today I have nothing.

With similar "more than I have today" motivation, I tried using a SET
symbol instead of a system symbol, as follows:

    //  SET SYS=MVS3
    //*
    /*JOBPARM SYSAFF=&SYS
    **************************** INVALID /*JOBPARM CARD
    $HASP106 JOB DELETED BY JES2 OR CANCELLED BY OPERATOR BEFORE EXECUTION

No joy.  Dammit, how many things can IBM do wrong in the JCL parser?  I suspect
I've only begun the catalog.  Look, IBM guys, perform the substitution first,
_then_ interpret the statement.  It's that simple!  Same applies to the
misinterpretation of "//SYSIN DD DATA,DLM=&SYMBOL", etc.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL