On Nov 25, 2005, at 1:53 AM, R.S. wrote:

iously (maybe not for IBM) z/OS.e is very interesting mostly for existing mainframe users, thos fighting for lower TCO. Some of them decide to change the platform (see MMA, or other ideas), or they try to (we call it catch left ear with right hand) "wangle" how to fit in terms and conditions of z/OS.e. I know some customers which dropped CICS giving place for replacement product (there are such).

Solution for that situation was mentioned hundred of times: make software fees lower. Mainframe software is too expensive.
EOT

--

Well it as always depends... If you calculate in the salaries of the OEM CICS programmer types I'll bet that it comes out pretty close to being even (or possibly less). 30 (or so years ago) a company I worked for bought a replacement (called INTERCOM) for one group. WIth the idea that it might replace it for the entire company. The problem was that they couldn't find people that knew INTERCOM and the ones that did wanted big $$$. The people that brought it in ended up leaving the company as they could make lots more money elsewhere.

BTW INTERCOM was probably a better product that CICS (then) now, I don't know enough about CICS-TS to say.

Ed