Hello:

For years, JES2 wouldn't release spool space allocated to a given job
until all of the job was purged - i.e. freeing SPOOL space seemed to be
an all-or-nothing proposition.  I learned today that JES2 frees up
SPOOL space for spin-OFF SYSOUT data sets (FREE=CLOSE) as soon as
they're printed or purged, i.e. JES2 no longer waits for the entire job
to get purged in order to free up some of the space allocated to it.
Apparently, this isn't something new at all: a quick test on my RESCUE
system shows that JES2 already behaved like that on MVS/ESA 5.2.2.
When did JES2 start freeing SPOOL space for spin-off data sets?  Am I
confused again?  Thanks.

--

 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software