On Mon, 16 May 2011 08:42:32 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <listserv%201105151611482534.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 05/15/2011
>   at 04:11 PM, Paul Gilmartin said:
>
>>certainly not in an interactive shell
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by an "interactive shell", nor why you
>would describe Rexx as being one, but there is nothing in Rexx that
>precludes compiling the entire file before executing any of it, and
>some implementations do just that. Rexx is a scripting language, not a
>shell.

I forked this fiber of the thread by musing:

    http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-main&P=80293

    I've sometimes imagined Rexx as a shell language, but it has a couple
    severe flaws:  ...

We seem to be in considerably acrimonious agreement here.  Because
you trimmed the essence of my remark, then disputed what remained
out of context.

-- gil