From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Ed Gould
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 8:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Ads on IBM-MAIN

Jim:

I guess the real issue is that he stepped over the line.
2 (or so) years ago I sent a short note to him requesting moderation in his
posts.
He seems to have forgotten that is what he said he would do.

Please note none of the other vendors seem to do the same thing he has done.
They announce their product and usually there is little or no announcements.
The new features that he added which may/may not make his product better, I
don't know and do not care. I don't know why he added STARTIO support and to
advertise it seems to me a who cares.
Only a systems person would care frankly. Yes this list is inhabited by systems
people but trying to "sell" (or give away or whatever) to systems people is
probably ill advised (IMO). While it *might* be nice that the product be known
to systems people the people who make the final decision tend not to be our
types. We may influence them but sign a contract usually not (I have a story
about that but will do it offline if desired).
Ed

ps: I am *NOT* refering to any IBM product here. All the product people who give
their time to the list are greatly appreciated. They support their products very
well. DFSORT (Frank) might say this feature will be available in release xx
(this is an example) and he does it well. The person in question seems to raise
his voice until you have no other choice than to listen.
Frank Yeager (sp?) does his job (IMO) superbly. Frankly (no pun intended) he
does it the best. Other IBMers talk about their product in a non agressive mode
which is perfect for the list. Its informative without being intrusive. We learn
from it and that is what the list is for (IMO) to learn not to be yelled at
about some new feature. COMPUWARE doesn't do it CA doesn't do it, CBTTAPE you
hear small one or two line announcements. Likewise other vendors (except for
one).

Ed