peter.far...@broadridge.com (Farley, Peter x23353) writes:
> IIRC there is no easy FTP in or out of VM/370.  Your only real
> transfer capability is the VM/370 system reader and punch.  The VMARC
> format (like XMIT) packages text in 80-byte records and can be
> transmitted back and forth using reader and punch.  There are both MVS
> 3.8 and VM/370 versions of VMARC, so files created in MVS 3.8 can be
> transmitted back and forth with VM/370.  There is also a VM/370 dump
> command which writes files to the punch, but I forget the output
> format that it uses.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011m.html#30 CMS load module format

... note lots of os/360 (&/or mvs) applications/compilers were ported to
CMS .... by implementing simulation of os/360 access method services (on
cms filesystem, this is different from simulation of os/360 access
method services on real mvs disks mentioned below).

CMSSEG was introduced in vm370 release 3 with DCSS (a very small subset
of my paged-mapped filesystem and virtual memory management changes
mentioned below). OS simulation should be in CMSSEG (there was joke
about 32kbyte OS/360 simulation code in CMSSEG was much more cost
effective OS/360 simulation than the 8mbyte OS/360 simulation in MVS).
this has discussion about standard hercules distribution and whether
cmsseg definition is in conflict with the cms virtual machine size
you are using:
http://osdir.com/ml/emulators.hercules390.vm/2003-11/msg00132.html

"disk dump/load" was one of the original cms (when it was cambridge
monitor system on cp67 ... before morph to vm370 and name change to
conversational monitor system) commands from mid-60s. The original CMS
filesystem formated disks into 800-byte fixed length physical records
(early form of FBA). a similar gimick (temporary changing file format to
800-byte fixed-length records) was also used by the cms tape dump/load
application ... but physical 800-byte blocks on tape.

from dmsdsk (also from vm370 release 6)
*        DUMP:   DISK COPIES  THE  FILE  DESIGNATION FROM  THE          00096000
*        PARAMETER  LIST INTO  BYTES  58 -  76  OF AN  89-BYTE          00097000
*        BUFFER. (THE FIRST  FOUR BYTES OF THE  BUFFER CONTAIN          00098000
*        AN    IDENTIFIER    CONSISTING   OF    AN    INTERNAL          00099000
*        REPRESENTATION OF  A 12-2-9 PUNCH AND  THE CHARACTERS          00100000
*        'CMS'.)   THEN    DISK   TEMPORARILY    CHANGES   THE          00101000
*        CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FILE IN  THE 40-BYTE FST ENTRY          00102000
*        TO MAKE IT APPEAR AS  A FILE OF 800-BYTE FIXED-LENGTH          00103000
*        RECORDS.  (THE CORRECT FST ENTRY IS RESTORED WHEN THE          00104000
*        FILE HAS  BEEN DUMPED,  OF COURSE.)   DISK MOVES  THE          00105000
*        INITIAL VALUE FOR SEQUENCING                                   00106000
*        (001)  INTO BYTES  77-80 OF  THE  BUFFER.  DISK  NEXT          00107000
*        CALLS THE DMSBRD FUNCTION                                      00108000
*        PROGRAM TO READ  THE FIRST 50 BYTES  OF THE TEMPORARY          00109000
*        COPY INTO                                                      00110000
*        BYTES 6-55 OF THE BUFFER AND THEN THE DMSCIO FUNCTION          00111000
*        PROGRAM TO PUNCH                                               00112000
*        THE CONTENTS OF THE BUFFER.  HAVING PUNCHED THE FIRST          00113000
*        CARD,  DISK  INCREMENTS THE  SEQUENCE  NUMBER  (BYTES          00114000
*        77-80 OF THE  OUTPUT BUFFER) AND OVERLAYS  BYTES 6-55          00115000
*        OF THE BUFFER WITH THE NEXT 50 BYTES OF THE FILE               00116000
*        BY CALLING DMSBRD.   IT THEN PUNCHES THE  CONTENTS OF          00117000
*        THE                                                            00118000
*        BUFFER.    DISK  REPEATS   THIS   PROCESS  FOR   EACH          00119000
*        SUBSEQUENT 50  BYTES OF  DATA IN  THE TEMPORARY  DISK          00120000
*        FILE.   WHEN  THE END-OF-FILE  IS  ENCOUNTERED,  DISK          00121000
*        GENERATES AN  END CARD (ONE WITH  N IN COLUMN  5) AND          00122000
*        PUNCHES IT,                                                    00123000
*        CALLS THE CP CLOSE COMMAND TO CLOSE PUNCH                      00124000

... snip ...

During the FS period ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

lots of 370 development (both software & hardware) was cut back all over
the company. with the failure of FS ... there was mad rush to get stuff
back into the 370 product pipelines. This was motivation for picking up
a lot of 370 stuff I had been doing all during the FS period for vm370
release 3 ... some old email related to converting & enhancing bunch of
stuff from cp67 to vm370:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

and then additional stuff as separate kernel add-on (used as guinea pig
for starting to charge for kernel software) ...
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#clock

MVS was in mad rush to do mvs/xa ... which was going to take another 7-8
years ... but the head of POK managed to convinced corporate to kill-off
the vm370 product, close the development group, and transfer all the
people to POK or otherwise MVS/XA wouldn't be able to make it ship date.

While this was going on, somebody in the vm370 development group had
done a fairly full set of CMS OS simulation access method for operating
against real MVS formated disks. however, releasing this code was not
consistent with the decision to kill off vm370 product (which would have
gone out prior to vm370 release 6 ... and would therefor could have been
part of the source base). There is joke that head of POK was one of the
biggest contributor to DEC VAX/VMS ... since so many development people
left and went to work on DEC's (infant) VMS, instead of moving to POK
(including individuals responsible for the significantly enhanced OS
simulated access methods). In the resulting chaos ... the source for
that implementation disappeared.

Eventually, Endicott managed to "save" the vm370 product mission, but
had to reconstitute a development group from scratch.

VMFPLC was done as an enhanced TAPE dump/load ... but with larger
tape block sizes. I borrowed source for VMFPLC (wasn't part of
standard distribution) to make the changes necessary to support
my cms virtual memory mapped filesystem ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#mmap

I was then asked to provide Endicott a copy of the source ... since it
was another thing that got lost in the chaos of shutdown of the vm370
development group.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006t.html#24 CMSBACK

above also mentions CMSBACK ... which I had done in the late 70s for
internal datacenters ... I had made further enhancements to vmfplc to
use as backup/archive. misc. old email mentioning cmsback
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#cmsback

CMSBACK later morphs into workstation datasave (as customer product),
then ADSM and finally as current TSM. misc. past posts mentioning
backup/archive
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#backup

other old posts mentioning vmfplc
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/99.html#149 OS/360 (and descendents) VM system?