joa...@swbell.net (John McKown) writes:
> Depends on the printer. 0x0A on many DecWriters did both a CR and an LF
> function. That's why UNIX defaulted that way, from what I was told. No
> need to do any character translation or additions if you just did a "cp"
> to the device. Of course, Windows via MS-DOS via CP/M-80 used CRLF for
> the same reason. The PC printers of the day required a separate LF and
> CR to go to the beginning of the next line. And the CR was done first so
> that the mechanical time to return the head was taken up by rolling the
> platten to the next line due to the fact that the CR functino took a
> "significant" amount of time compared to the LF or printing a simple
> character. Again, as I was told.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011n.html#45 CRLF in Unix being translated on
Mainframe to x'25'

another recent post about adding tty/ascii terminal support to cp67
(already had 2741 & 1052 support)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011n.html#70 1979 SHARE LSRAD Report

one of the things done in terminal support was line was "padded" with
idle characters after a "CR" ... formula that calculated how many
characters had been printed in the line, how fast the carriage/typehead
returned and how fast characters were transmitted ... in order to allow
carriage/typehead to have returned before start printing the next line.

for other trivia ... this is old item about the name cp/m being derived
from (ibm mainframe virtual machine) cp/67 ... kildall (author of cp/m)
having used cp/67 at navy post graduate school in 1972 ... gone 404,
but lives on at wayback machine
http://web.archive.org/web/20071011100440/http://www.khet.net/gmc/docs/museum/en_cpmName.html