In <1887362737215400.wa.paulgboulderaim....@bama.ua.edu>, on
10/24/2011
   at 05:56 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>Ummm.  Not quite.

I know; I realized the error[1] after I had sent it. EBCDIC New Line
is NL; NEL is a different character. The value X'25' is correct for
neither.

>Ummm.  Not quite.  z/OS Unix System Services uses EBCDIC NL (x'15')
>as the new line indication.

For EBCDIC files, but I believe that it still uses LF for other
character sets.

>Then it violates the specifications of the code pages by
>translating LF(x'0A')<->NL(x'15')

IBM was caught between a rock and a hard place. None of the available
choices was good.

>And why does the silly-assed Solaris/Firefox spellchecker complain
>about "bijective"?

It's part of the culture for spell checkers to flag legitimate word
and to suggest bizarre replacements for them. In particular, they're
aimed at general users and often don't include terms of art from,
e.g., Law, Mathematics.

Why does the m$ grammar checker complain about legitimate
constructions? Worse, why does m$ word complain about the reading
level when it's already condescendingly low?

[1] And sent a corrected version.