On 10/31/11 13:04, Longnecker, Dennis wrote:
Can someone point me to the right place to find the documentation on how to create large
SVCDUMP datasets?   I need to create a large dump dataset so I can take a console dump of
DB2.  I keep getting partial dumps.  I see in the messages the maximum size of a dataset
is 65,535 tracks which for a 3390 is 4369 cylinders.   In the z/OS MVS diagnosis: Tools
and Service Aids manual they say "IBM Recommends using extended format sequential
data sets as dump data sets for SVC dumps......and they can hold 128 gigabytes".
But the manual doesn't give any clues on how to create them.

IBM APAR II06335 talks about the subject also:  " Note: With DFSMS120 and Dynamic
Dump Allocation, multi-volume EFDS format datasets can be created for your SVCDUMP.
"  but doesn't give any clues on how to create such a beast either.

I've tried created the SYS1.DUMP dataset on a MOD 9 with the contig option, but
it stops at the 65,535 tracks.

Any pointers appreciated.

Dennis

You specify whether a dataset is allocated in extended format in it's data class. I don't know off hand if SVCDUMP processing supports DSNTYPE=LARGE, but if so that would be another option.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

One of life's greatest mysteries is how the boy who
wasn't good enough to marry your daughter can be the
father of the smartest grandchild in the world.

Yiddish Proverb