From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Norbert Friemel
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2011 12:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Large SVCDUMPS

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:04:01 -0700, Longnecker, Dennis wrote:

>Can someone point me to the right place to find the documentation on how to
create large SVCDUMP datasets?   I need to create a large dump dataset so I
can take a console dump of DB2.  I keep getting partial dumps.  I see in the
messages the maximum size of a dataset is 65,535 tracks which for a 3390 is
4369 cylinders.   In the z/OS MVS diagnosis: Tools and Service Aids manual
they say "IBM Recommends using extended format sequential data sets as dump
data sets for SVC dumps......and they can hold 128 gigabytes".    But the
manual doesn't give any clues on how to create them.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2D490/3.6.10.2

DSNTYPE=LARGE is allowed for SVC Dump (z/OS 1.7 or later)
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IEA2V1B0/2.1.3
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/DGT2D490/3.6.11

Norbert Friemel