>>Would it be feasible to submit the job with TYPRUN=HOLD (TYPRUN=SCAN is
>>irreparably
>>broken) and scan the resolved JESJCL with SDSF, then cancel it?

No SDSF at this shop, yet.  We use $AVRS and some other piece of junk which is
a small improvement on ISPF 3.8.

But you might be on the right track.  From what I have read, JCL processing
goes thru these stages: Reader, Converter, Interpreter, Resource Allocation,
Job Selection and Scheduling, Output, and Purge.  It seems that TYPRUN=SCAN
only does the reader and converter phases.  I suspect TYPRUN=HOLD is probably
the same, or maybe it does the Interpreter too.  In any event, the converter
phase does the PROC/SET/INCLUDE resolution and stores the result as C/I text on
the JES SPOOL.  If only there was a way to pull this out of spool and write to
a regular dataset.

John