It has been a long time, but I worked in JES3 shops, even did a VSE to
JES3 migration project.

What Mr. Jaffe said pretty much covers it, and then I think you can, using
output DSP, send the result (no MAIN processing) to a data set where you
can even edit it.

I was going through the z/OS 1.7 JCL REF to refresh my memories of how
this is done.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
IBM Connect:Direct for z/OS
Developer
__________________

<SNIPPAGE>
Unlike JES2, JES3 C/I does both conversion and interpretation before
execution.
In addition, JES3 provides the JCLTEST and JSTTEST tools for doing even
more
in-depth JCL testing. From z/OS JES3 Initialization and Tuning Guide:

"During the prescan phase, the JCL for the job is examined for PGM=JCLTEST
or PGM=JSTTEST. If PGM=JCLTEST is found on an EXEC statement, the JCL is
interpreted and the job is then express canceled on completion of the CI
DSP.  If PGM=JSTTEST is found on an EXEC statement, the job is processed
through the prescan and postscan phases, a printed format of the job
summary table (JST) is printed on the JESYSMSG data set, and the job is
then canceled-with-print on completion of the CI DSP. For more information
on JCLTEST and JSTTEST, see z/OS JES3 Diagnosis."

You can write a REXX that submits your jobs, changes the EXEC to
PGM=JSTTEST and
then examines the results. The JST table will tell you lots of great
information
about data set use.

You can use the TSO/E OUTPUT command to copy the results from SPOOL to a
data
set. Also, if you submit the job(s) via FTP, you can get the results back
via
FTP.  [Better tools are also available... ;-) ]

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc