Shmuel Wrote:
>>Were procs in the original design? I know that symbolic parameters
>>weren't.
They may not have been in PCP.  But I am 99% certain they were in OS MFT R18
which was my earliest experience, back in 1970.

>It would have made a lot more sense to treat PROC's as a special
>kind of MACRO call and then "PUNCH" out basic JCL statements.
>>I don't see how that would be useful.
When they introduced PROCS (and later INCLUDE/SET) they basically hid it all
away in the C/I.  But if instead they had made a clean separation between the
expansion of the PROC with symbol resolution from the later phase to interpret
all the JCL primitives, that would have been a much cleaner design IMO.  And
they could have provided TYPRUN=PUNCH to allow you to extract the primitive JCL
after PROC/symbol resolution.  And if they had done that all those years ago,
today we would likely have something like TYPRUN=PUNCHXML to produce something
that would be much easier to scan for purposes such as mine.

>And I have a lot of appreciation for what they achieved on machines
>with as little as 384K of core memory.

>>384KiB? We ran PCP on 128 and MFT II on 256. I know of places that ran
>>on 64.
I have personal experience with MFT on 384K.  I don't recall the absolute
minimum for OS MFT, but the Wiki article suggests 256K was a practical minimum.