A couple of comments -

- Clear key ciphers are perfectly appropriate for many applications.   Take
for example SSL/TLS or SSH - an symmetric cipher key is generated for each
session and is only used to encrypt/decrypt the data for that session.
One might argue that it is "safer" for the program not to have the session
key, but it has the clear text data.

- Even with large block sizes, direct access to CPACF cipher instructions
is measurably faster than ICSF.   It depends on your point of view as to
whether you think that the difference is important.    For me, the CPACF
cipher instructions are just as easy to code to as ICSF, and then you don't
have to worry about whether ICSF is configured / started.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> Our "OpenSSH Accelerator for z/OS" was implemented hooking the OpenSSL
cipher and mac routines in Ported Tools OpenSSH to use CPACF instructions
if available.   For typical AES ciphers / SHA-1 hashes used by ssh, this
reduces the CPU time of ssh on z/OS by 70%.
For more information, see: http://dovetail.com/solutions.html