I would agree.  It is very dependent on what your are doing and WHY you are
doing it.  Regulations, laws, guidelines all vary wildly.  The interaction
between them may lead you to items that were not part of the original
design.

For key management, there is an IBM product which the original name was
DKMS.  If you have to manage a bunch of keys, need to communicate them to
the outside world, need help rotating them .. it is a really nice product
and addresses all the mainframe intricacies.

http://www-03.ibm.com/security/cccc/products/dkms.shtml

Key material management can get pretty weird.  Even more so for those
heading down the path for the first time.  A lot of the weirdness comes
from the need to document every little action, keeping at least dual
control or split control can also drive one to distraction.  Master key
management is also fun... it is always fun when you need a "ceremony" to do
anything! <VBG>

Once you've done it once, it seems pretty straightforward.  My own
experience setting up a TKE for the first time and trying to secure it was
a true adventure.

I am curious, what is the compuware encryption product for the mainframe?

Rob Schramm
Senior Systems Consultant
Imperium Group