into a "shared module" (as opposed to DCSS sharing).

Date: 11/07/79 14:53:27
From: wheeler
To: somebody in GBURG SPF group

The SPF module starts (begins) at location x'20000' and end somewhere
close to x'70000' (actually around x'6a000'). If I load and genmod
SPF it ordinarily creates a MODULE which starts at location x'20000'
and ends around x'6a000', i.e. those core locations are written to disk.
When I invoke SPF the SPF MODULE file is read into locations starting
at the start of the module (x'20000') and ending at the end of the
module (x'6a000').
--
Shared module support is an enhancement to VM and CMS which allows
specification at GENMOD time which segments (16 page groups) are to
be shared. The segments to be shared must be occupied by the module
being genmod'ed (i.e segment 2: x'20000' thru x'30000'; segment 3:
x'30000' thru x'40000', etc.).
--
Ordinarily I would LOAD SPF
                   GENMOD SPF
--
for shared modules I
                   LOAD SPF
                   reset module ending address to x'70000'
                   GENMOD SPF (share 2 3 4 5 6
--
Now at loadmod time, in addition to reading the SPF MODULE file into
the specified core locations (i.e. x'20000' thru x'70000') it
also identifies to CP that segments 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 are SPF shared
segments. For all other programs that I have been involved with,
that works satisfactory (i.e. the same code runs in discontiguous
shared segments, runs in modules, runs in shared modules) and modules
which did not change internal code locations while a discontiguous
shared module also do not change internal code locations while a
module and/or a shared module. As I read your reply, SPF is
altering 8 bytes of core at absolute location x'20000' independently
of whether or not that location is contained within the module.
If I were to:
               LOAD SPF (origin 30000
               reset module ending address to x'80000'
               GENMOD SPF (share 3 4 5 6 7
there would not be any problems?  since SPF is not storing into a
relative module core location (i.e. start of the 1st SPF module + x'0' bytes)
but into absolute location x'20000'.

... snip ...

and the response about why there were still problems: as an aside ...
1979 GBURG SPF group appeared to still be using all upper case