Think very, very large. Our XML HFS is about half the size of the z/OS
logical root. (z/OS 1.8? You are certainly in reach-ahead mode.)

Data Set Name  . . . : OSR17.OMVS.XML

General Data                          Current Allocation
 Management class . . : **None**       Allocated tracks  . : 20,585
 Storage class  . . . : **None**       Allocated extents . : 2
  Volume serial . . . : R17CAT         Maximum dir. blocks : NOLIMIT
  Device type . . . . : 3390
 Data class . . . . . : **None**
  Organization  . . . : PO            Current Utilization
  Record format . . . : U              Used pages  . . . . : 222,720
  Record length . . . : 0              % Utilized  . . . . : 90
  Block size  . . . . : 0              Number of members . : 21,006
  1st extent tracks . : 18713
  Secondary tracks  . : 1872
  Data set name type  : HFS

  Creation date . . . : 2005/06/29     Referenced date . . : 2006/01/01
  Expiration date . . : ***None***

As for mounting, we use this in BPXPARM for the SMP/E install-only HFS:

MOUNT FILESYSTEM('OSR17.OMVS.XML') TYPE(HFS) MODE(RDWR)
      MOUNTPOINT('/OSR17/usr/lpp/ixm/IBM/')

You don't have much flexibility in the mount point because of the
assumptions made by various components about the location of other
components. Same goes for the run-time HFS.

.
.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company
SHARE MVS Program Co-Manager
626-302-7535 Office
323-715-0595 Mobile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 01/03/2006
02:46:57 PM:

> I am attempting to install the XML toolkit for z/os 1.8.  I get to a
> certain point in the installation instructions and confusion arises.
> Any help would be appreciated.  I will summarize below, where I am and
> where I am confused.
>
> Thanx in advance
> Brad Taylor
>
> 1. I have downloaded and read the instructions.
> 2. I have created a download directory for the install package in a
> separate HFS and mounted it.
>    MKDIR   '/u/cbt1'  MODE(7,5,5)
>    MKDIR   '/u/cbt1/xml18'  MODE(7,5,5)
>    MOUNT FILESYSTEM('USER.XML18.HFS') +
>          MOUNTPOINT('/u/cbt1/xml18') +
>          TYPE(HFS) MODE(RDWR)
> 3. I have created my own CSI for all SMP/E jobs.
> 4. I have updloaded the file from my workstation to the download
> directory created above.
> 5. I have unpaxed the uploaded file
>    oshell cd /u/cbt1/xml18/
>    pax -rvf /u/cbt1/xml18/xml180.pax.Z
> 6. I have GIMUNZIPed unpaxed data createing the smp/e relfiles
> 7. I created the GLOBAL, TARGET, and DLIB zones in the smp/e csi.
> 8. I allocated the smp/e datasets SIXMEXP, AIXMEXP, AIXMHFS, SMPLOG,
> SMPPTS
> 9. I did the SMP/E RECEIVE for the FMIDs HXML160, HXML170, HXML180.
>
> The next thing I am supposed to do is run a JOB IXMISMKD from the ....F1
> relfile. The program directory indicates that this could be installed in
> its own HFS, which is what I want to do.  However there is no indication
> of sizing information or how to do that.  I am thinking that I should
> create an HFS and mount it at /usr/lpp/ixm, since this is where the
> directory structure is created by the IXMMKDIR exec supplied as part of
> the installation.  Since /usr/lpp/ixm already exists, in a read-only
> file system, I am thinking that I also need to temporarily mount that
> read/write and delete the ixm directory, prior to mounting the newly
> created file system.  So my questions are:
>   1. where do I get sizing information, or is that AIXMHFS file
> allocated earlier somehow related (does not look like an HFS).
>   2. is createing and mounting the HFS at /usr/lpp/ixm, the correct
> thing to do?

<snip>