On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:39:20 +0100, Vernooij, CP - SPLXM
<kees.verno...@klm.com> wrote:

>To be precise: ASM reserves 2 exposures  *per pagedataset* not per
>volume (i.e. 2n-1 Aliasses per volume), since/so you can allocate more
>than 1 pagedataset on one volume. We do so to fill 3390-9s and -27s with
>pagedatasets.

You've been able to allocate a page ds larger than 4G for quite some time
now (since z/OS 1.8 + OA20749).  On our largest systems, we allocate a
single local page dataset per 3390-27 volume.

In one of the environments I support I couldn't turn on WLMPAV because
much of DASD was shared between 2 sysplexes (via MIM) and that would
have led to "PAV thrashing", so I never allocated more than one per
volume anyway (except common/plpa).  We did have static PAVs for
that environment, but ASM ignored that and only reserved the pavs
when WLMPAV was set.   So it was nice when HIPERPAV came along for
that environment.

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com