From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Mark Jacobs
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 10:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: ASM and HiperPAV

On 01/30/12 10:33, Mark Zelden wrote:

<snip>

> You've been able to allocate a page ds larger than 4G for quite some
time
> now (since z/OS 1.8 + OA20749).  On our largest systems, we allocate a
> single local page dataset per 3390-27 volume.
>
> In one of the environments I support I couldn't turn on WLMPAV because
> much of DASD was shared between 2 sysplexes (via MIM) and that would
> have led to "PAV thrashing", so I never allocated more than one per
> volume anyway (except common/plpa).  We did have static PAVs for
> that environment, but ASM ignored that and only reserved the pavs
> when WLMPAV was set.   So it was nice when HIPERPAV came along for
> that environment.
>
> Mark
> --
> Mark Zelden - Zelden Consulting Services - z/OS, OS/390 and MVS
> mailto:m...@mzelden.com
> Mark's MVS Utilities: http://www.mzelden.com/mvsutil.html
> Systems Programming expert at
http://expertanswercenter.techtarget.com/

According to the apar it seems like that you can define large page
datasets. but ASM will still only use up to 4GB of it for paging, or am
I missing something?

ERROR DESCRIPTION:
   The MVS Initialization and Tuning Guide (SA22-71591-04) in
   section 2.2 "Page Data Set Sizes" indicates page datasets can be
   no more than 1M (1,048,576) slots (4GB) in size.  As of z/OS
   R1.8, this is no longer true, page datasets can now be allocated
   as large as 16M (16,777,216) slots (64GB) in size.
   HOWEVER, ASM still supports only up to 4G page datasets.

   LOCAL FIX:
   IDCAMS DEFINE PAGESPACE supports>4G page datasets at z/OS R1.8.
   HOWEVER, ASM still only supports page datasets up to 4G in size.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

Don't be too sweet lest you be eaten up; don't
be too bitter lest you be spewed out.

Yiddish Proverb

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.