One of the subtle misconceptions in the design of WLM was the implicit assumption that you would always have enough hardware resources to do the "required" workload with the "required" response time, and if not would quickly remedy the situation. In the real world, this is not always the case and "sharing the pain" is at times more acceptable than an immediate expenditure to add horsepower (even if it's just a logical change that increases software cost).

I would submit that in the business world, while there are frequently workloads that are discretionary in the sense that they may be delayed, most of these are not "discretionary" in the sense that they may be delayed indefinitely or have no required completion window. In a system that is approaching or at saturation, one finds that typical WLM definitions effectively convert workloads that to the user were "discretionary" as to WHEN they might be run into workloads that are not run at all, which is rarely the intent.

WLM now has better tools than initially for defining "loved ones" that are "conditionally loved" and which can better address some of these situations.

When financial or political considerations force you to periodically run near system saturation for an extended time, you will invariably find that some of the workload priorities have to be rethought to allow discretionary, but non-optional, work to complete within required windows under that environment. Conversely, if you rarely have to run in a resource constrained environment, it probably doesn't make sense to expend the effort to distinguish among discretionary workloads that are truly discretionary and those that are non-optional and only discretionary up to a point (when that point is never being crossed).
  JC Ewing