>I'll admit that my mind is not running quite right today. But something that
>is bouncing around is notification of events happening on "servers",
>especially z/OS. Would it be helpful, or stupid, to set up a "twitter" type,
>secured, server. Then have the appropriate people from work, who have
>smartphones or even PCs, be able to "follow" specific topics, which may be
>things such as individual server names, or "z/OS product job status", or
>"abended jobs". Or are some companies doing something similar using SMS? We
>use SMS messages via CA-Unicenter for monitoring CA-Unicenter "tickets"
>assigned to our group. But we cannot individually decide if we would like
>more. And we don't generate tickets for things like "production job ....
>completed successfully on 2012-03-10 at 13:58" or "Event ... has not completed
>successfully yet." On weekends, we are totally "dark" and the on-call
>Production Support person must periodically logon to z/OS in order to check
>statuses. I thought it migh!
 t!
>  be easier if they got "tweets" about things.
>
>Of course, for all I know, this may be impossible due to software patents.

Of course there could be other software to do this.

Things like CA Spectrum, eHealth, OPS/MVS, and Automation point, could possible
handle this type of request, if set up.  I believe the magic new word is MIB
MIB

               a) A collection of objects that can be accessed by means of
                  a network management protocol.

               b) A definition for management information that specifies
                  the information available from a host or gateway and the
                  operations allowed.

               c) In OSI, the conceptual repository of management
                  information within an open system.

Then SMTP or similar could be used to "tweet".

Lizette