From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Walt Farrell
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:36 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: UNABLE TO DELETE DUPLICTE DSN

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 06:24:01 -0700, John Dawes <jhn_da...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I am trying to delete a duplicate dsn via TSO.  Since the cataloged version
> which resides on volume MPR003 is in use, I thought that I could rename the
> duplicate dsn
> which resides on MPR027.  However when I try to rename the dsn (via TSO) it
> gave me the message "Duplicate data set name" followed by
> "Data set is cataloged on a volume other than MPR027".  Both volumes are
> managed by SMS.  Is there some other tactic I could employ?

If you have appropriate authority via the RACF resource
STGADMIN.DPDSRN.part-of-old-name you can rename the data set, but it must be
non-SMS and non-VSAM.
Search the z/OS library online for STGADMIN.DPDSRN and you'll find the 2
entries that describe this.

But since you appear to have an SMS-managed data set I'm not sure what you can
do. (How do you have an uncataloged SMS-managed data set?)

--
Walt