From: Robert A. Rosenberg [mailto:hal9...@panix.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: UNABLE TO DELETE DUPLICTE DSN

At 06:24 -0700 on 03/22/2012, John Dawes wrote about UNABLE TO DELETE DUPLICTE
DSN:

>G'Day   I am trying to delete a duplicate dsn via TSO.  Since the
>cataloged version which resides on volume MPR003 is in use, I thought
>that I could rename the duplicate dsn which resides on MPR027.  However
>when I try to rename the dsn (via TSO) it gave me the message
>"Duplicate data set name" followed by "Data set is cataloged on a
>volume other than MPR027".  Both volumes are managed
>by SMS.  Is there some other tactic I could employ?   Thanks.

Since the problem is that the DSN Name is enqueued upon (which is pointing at
another dataset with the same name) you need to rename the dataset you want to
delete (so it is not a duplicate of a dataset with a current ENQ). One way to
do this is to use SUPERZAP to edit the VTOC entry to alter the dataset name.
Once this is done you can then do the delete. This may leave a orphan record in
the VTOCIX which may cause errors in the future if you try to allocate the
dataset name on that volume in the future (I do not know). There may be some
RACF issues to be allowed to run the SUPERZAP which might need to be looked
into.

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN