There are many reasons for these types of defects. The programmer(s) in these cases to the best of my knowledge were actually very experienced z/OS developers. Very competent people. In my experience it is a matter of when not if these type of issues occur when you are responsible for developing and maintaining this type of code. It requires a constant vigilance to make sure these types of errors don't get out into the field. Even then it only takes a single "error" that could compromise the system integrity. It is a difficult job.

Ray Overby
Key Resources, Inc.
Ensuring System Integrity for z/Series^(TM)
www.zassure.com
(312)574-0007