I'm sorry Tom. I did not intend my remarks to be personal. I deeply regret that you feel hurt by them. Please don't let my words deter you from future contributions. Your thoughts generally are more valuable than most.

I just wanted to emphasize the APF Trojan horse vulnerability. It is real, it is serious, yet for decades everyone seems to want to pretend that it does not exist... It mystifies me.

www.zassure.com is the closest thing I've seen to an MVS anti-virus program. After seeing a demo, I would have bought it, or recommended it to a client. Check it out, you will be surprised, if not shocked.

Thank you for this. I will check it out.

[Regarding SAF] I do take issue with your last sentence. SAF and an ESM have everything to do with anti-virus protection, provided they are configured to correctly protect APF-authorized resources.

Perhaps. However, all an APF authorized program has to do is flip a bit or two in certain RACF control blocks, and voilĂ ! He's suddenly a supervisory program and, as such, is given a pass on all RACF calls... Alternatively, a malicious APF program can simply dynamically front-end certain supervisory programs, and again voilĂ ! (As I'm sure you know, APF programs can fairly easily defeat all hardware storage protections.)

Yes, SAF is still called even for APF programs, but an APF program can still subvert those calls.

I've never forgotten this [APF libraries]. That's why my APF-authorized libraries are severely limited in scope, and audited for any and all updates.

Enforcing trust is a technical issue. RACF is very good at that. Deciding who to trust is a management issue. Even at shops that allow only trusted vendor software into APF authorized libraries is implicitly trusting the hundreds or even thousands of people involved in the development of that software.

Again, I go into more detail about this in my prior post: "<https://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0608&L=IBM-MAIN&P=R63457&I=-3&X=6EB01556E36E4D9CAC&Y=dbcole%40colesoft.com&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches>https://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0608&L=IBM-MAIN&P=R63457&I=-3&X=6EB01556E36E4D9CAC&Y=dbcole%40colesoft.com&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches ".

Again, please accept my apology, Tom. It was not intended to be personal. I'm sorry it came out that way.

Dave Cole              REPLY TO: dbc...@colesoft.com
ColeSoft Marketing     WEB PAGE: http://www.colesoft.com
736 Fox Hollow Road    VOICE:    540-456-8536
Afton, VA 22920        FAX:      540-456-6658