We use the h*ll out of SCLM.  Unfortunately I'm no expert on it, but we
do have a very good one in-house.

We even used it for distributed stuff (java, etc.) w/ BREEZE & CLOUD9
and our change control system (for things besides software updates).

We do have a C language environment on the mainframe, that works, as far
as I know.

I'm told that PDSE's are only required for program objects, but we did
convert all (or most) of the PDSes, due to their advantages and the
sizes of our libraries.

We also run EAC (Extended Access Control), a nice security add-on to
SCLM from Fundi Software (an IBM business partner).

We have integrated our SCLM promote process with our in-house software
inventory system (via exits), so that SCLM will not allow a promote of
any archdef that contains a non-inventoried item (program, dataset,
control card, proc, execution JCL, etc.)

I second the idea of getting expert help, but you can't have mine, even
though he lives in Cumming. ;-)

It's not a simple product (at least the way we use it) but it works very
well for us.

b/t/w Scott, I think I drive by your company HQ every day I go work...

Randy