On 4/5/2012 8:44 AM, McKown, John wrote:
Using SSH is, IMO, superior. But if you are dead set on using Telnet
(perhaps
due to lack of an SSH client - I suggest PuTTY), then you must be running the
INETD daemon. And you must have a dedicated port number on z/OS to use. We use
port 2023. In the /etc/inetd.conf file, you need a line like:

2023      stream tcp nowait BPXROOT /usr/sbin/otelnetd otelnetd -l -t -D login

Replace the "2023" with the port you want to use. Then, to get a UNIX shell
prompt, you telnet into that port number. This works for me.

We don't have a port in our /etc/inted.conf file; in fact, the only
non-comment line we have is:

otelnet  stream tcp nowait OMVSKERN /usr/sbin/otelnetd otelnetd

I think this is because '23' is the default telnet server port, and we
have that port allocated to telnet in our tcpparms profile.

BTW, we use telnet because that's the way our system from Dallas
is set up. We are not sysprogs so we try to minimize the systems
programming work we need to do. (Oh, we do some, of course, to
install new versions of products, etc., but these are driven by
course needs, e.g.: setting up DB2 8 and 9 and 10 as needed; even
then, the Dallas staff does most the work, we merely need to
tailor things to our config).

There doesn't seem to be much payback to go to ssh in return for
the work. Our system is actually only in non-sleep mode a few days
a month (well, it's erratic, depending on our current development
work).

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV