Maybe it will turn out that "round trip" only applies to the characters that
are defined in the Source CCSID (and I'm not sure if "defined" is the right
word). When I look at a chart of CCSID 1027 here:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/gcoc/attachments/CP01027.pdf

I see that all of the characters that you see being being converted to X'1A'
are either outside the chart (which starts at X'40') or have no identified
value in the chart. If your data contains these unidentified characters, what
is their purpose, and is it really appropriate to consider the data to be
associated with CCSID 1027, or just something related to but not the same as
CCSID 1027?

Bill