From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Joel C. Ewing
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 6:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: How many cost a cpu second?

Or, to expand on R.S.'s remarks, if your installation software charges are
based on peak 4-hour MSU* average during the month and this application not
only must run during the peak time but is sufficient to raise that peak,
then your software license charges will go up for that month and there is a
real dollar cost involved.  On the other hand, if your installation is on
peak 4-hour MSU billing and the application is easily scheduled for slack
periods and does not contribute to the monthly peak, the CPU time used is
essentially free.

If you are not on peak 4-hour MSU billing and the application is scheduled
to use otherwise idle CPU and I/O resources, then the physical costs are $0;
but if it must be run during peak loads and contributes to forcing an
earlier upgrade of hardware to handle that load, then hardware upgrade costs
could be significant and should be at least partially attributed to that
application.

Another cost not mentioned is end-user waiting time.  If cutting the
resources required by the application significantly improves the turn around
time to the end user, those improvements could be justified by improvements
to end-user productivity, which could have other desirable side effects.
    JC Ewing
*See other discussions on hardware-dependent relationship between CPU
seconds and Millions of Service Units (MSU).

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org

to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN