Thanks, Ron.

I spent a couple minutes on the HDS web site and somehow missed the fact
that the NSC55 supports ESCON.  Also, my tongue was firmly in cheek when
I suggested the idea of plugging a FICON device into an ESCON cable.
:-)

I didn't realize that once the initial copy was done, that subsequent
copies would only recopy the changed tracks (even tho it makes perfect
sense).  My thought behind asking the wall clock involved was just
curiosity and wondering what the actual impact was to the box to be
doing the data movement in the background.  I understand the idea that
the copy is immediately available before the physical tracks are copied
and was just wondering what kind of impact the background copy would
have on the foreground tasks running against the same physical disks.

Thanks for the info.

Rex

Rex,

With the NSC55 I would suggest ordering ESCON channels to solve your
plug problem - you can have up to 16 ESCON channels :)

Shadowimage doesn't up and start copying 200 volumes in one hit. There
is a maximum number of Logical Devices (volumes) that are being copied
at any one time, and this can change with model and microcode. The
copies always queue behind host requests to the disks (cache misses),
and any potential impact can be further reduced by reducing the number
of tracks used in each copy IO.

The impact is really quite low, and after the first copy you will be
refreshing the volumes, not copying. This means changed data only.

The wall clock time depends on how much other activity is taking place,
but as we discussed in another thread you don't have to wait for
Shadowimage, Flashcopy or Timefinder to move the data - the copies can
be used immediately. I don't have times for the NSC55, but I've had an
inactive 9960 complete full copies at 6GB/minute - I expect the NSC55 is
faster.

Depending on your needs you can also use the Flashcopy Compatible add-on
to Shadowimage and use FCNOCOPY with DFDSS which causes the copy to
operate as a Copy-On-Write, where only changed data is written to the
target.

BTW something you may like with latest generation software is you can
get an IO Consistent Point-in-Time across the snapped volumes without
stopping your applications on the Primary LPAR. I don't think the
Snapshot you are running supported this.

Ron

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html